Under the Hood"Only those who do not seek power are qualified to hold it" - Plato. Or, as the cow said to the farmer … "spare us the bullshit!"
Pfizer asked to meet with Greg Hunt about ‘millions of doses’ of vaccine but was offered bureaucrat instead The Guardian (Sep ’21)
NSW can ‘absolutely’ stop using coal power by 2030, energy minister says The Guardian (Sep ’21)
Australia the only developed nation on world list of deforestation hotspots The Guardian (Jan ’21)
The mental health crisis facing young Australians The Saturday Paper (Sep'21)
Democracy in decline: Australia's slide into 'competitive authoritarianism' Pearls and Irritations (Sep '21)
Dismembering government : New public management and why the Commonwealth government can’t do anything anymore The Monthly (Sep '21)
‘Trying to do our best’ is just not good enough from our leaders The Guardian (Sep '21)
JobKeeper rorts: PM and treasurer are a law unto themselves Crikey (Sep ’21)
How the women’s safety summit laid bare Morrison’s empathy gap The Guardian (Sep ’21)
Scott Morrison defied expert panel during apology speech to child sex abuse survivors Crikey (Sep ’21)
Government agencies worked against each other in Kabul evacuation The Saturday Paper (Sep ’21)
‘Government has a lot to answer for’: 30% of Indigenous NSW community struck down by Covid The Guardian (Sep ’21)
Morrison government moves to strengthen secrecy around energy ministers meetings Renew Economy (Sep ’21)
Manal Al-Sharif: Australia's new surveillance laws remind me of home Michael West Media (Sep ’21)
Provoking China to please the US. Pearls and Irritations (Sep ’21)
- Plato was right to say that "only those who don’t seek power are qualified to hold it" . . . and so we try to make sense of our quiet desperation by speaking truth to power . . . in the nation of the “fair go.”
- A smoker reads somewhere that smoking kills and decides to stop reading. Please, keep reading.
- POLITICAL IDEOLOGY: Coalition protects wealthy retirees' investments under cover of Covid-19 pandemic. . . Defunding arts degrees is the latest battle in a 40-year culture war. . . This pandemic has exposed the uselessness of orthodox economics. . . Coalition stopped welfare payments to 55,000 homeless or at-risk jobseekers in 6 months. . . The Morrison government is using the COVID-19 crisis to devastate the public service, the ABC, the arts and tertiary education.
- DEMOCRACY: Australian democracy is fading fast. . . Australia has prosecuted a brave individual - people who speak up keep getting arrested. . . Witness K is in the dock but institutions vital to Australia’s democracy are on trial. . . Scott Morrison’s partisan interpretation of biblical passages is disturbing for democracy. . . Cutting the ABC cuts public trust, a cost no democracy can afford. . . Australia may well be the Worldʼs most secretive democracy.
- LEADERSHIP: As the COVID crisis deepens, effective advocacy and leadership are missing – and the public is paying the price. . . PM’s focus on short-term fixes and politicisation of every conflict. . . The nation's leader goes to ground while waiting for scandals and lockdown to disappear. . . Who will take responsibility for the massive COVID failure in NSW?. . . PM’s inaction on men’s violence inflicts even more damage. . . Morrison scrambles for excuses as fatigue and frustration build. . . Did we all over-estimate what Scott Morrison had to offer?
- COVER UP: Environment department tried to bury research that found huge underspend on Australian threatened species. . . Frydenberg's office asked if environmental rule changes could be kept secret. . . Government refuses to release conflict-of-interest disclosures from Covid commission members. . . 'Blanket secrecy' surrounds weapons sales to countries accused of war crimes. . . Brian Houston cover-up smacks of government secrecy and deception. . . $30m Western Sydney airport land deal 'looks like' a cover-up, says infrastructure chief.
- CLIMATE CHANGE DENIAL: Government wants to bail out coal-fired generators. Guess who’ll pay?. . . Covid Commission advised Morrison to underwrite gas pipelines, but ignored green jobs. . . Frydenberg pushed AGL to sack boss because they closed a coal mine. . . Morrison says gas will ‘always’ be a major contributor to Australia’s prosperity. . . Australia ranks last for climate action among UN member countries. . . Morrison says no evidence links Australia's carbon emissions to bushfires.
- SECRECY: Government fights to keep secret documents that may show ‘what went wrong’ with RoboDebt. . . Secrecy in trial of Witness K lawyer an offence against open justice. . . Government refuses to release conflict-of-interest disclosures from Covid commission members. . . Scott Morrison's office met freedom of information deadlines in only 7.5% of cases. . . Australian federal budget found to be the most secretive ever produced. . . Coalition to pay consultants McKinsey $2.2m for two months’ work but won’t reveal nature of job.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Smug silence and dogged stonewalling. . . Why can politicians so easily dodge accountability for their mistakes?. . . Australian ministers bypassing parliament to create laws. . . NBN Co bonuses, pandemic spending queries go unanswered. . . Dutton slashed funding for highly regarded community safety projects - then selected his own list. . . The scandals he walks past: In Morrison’s government, a lack of accountability has become systemic.
- RORTS: Accenture got $8m to track vaccines. What did taxpayers get? Infographics. . . $4.6bn in JobKeeper went to businesses that increased their turnover at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. . . A consultancy firm was paid $660,000 to advise on Australia's COVID-19 vaccine strategy - a government official said they provided no 'specific advice’. . . On Election Eve, PM’s Office Gave $15m To Rich Party Donor From Money Set Aside To Tackle Black Poverty.
- GOVERNMENT APPOINTMENTS: Australia appoints founding chair of major gas and oil producer to clean energy regulator . . . From Frydenberg campaign to big bucks tribunal job . . . Jobs for the mates hits a new low as Bruce Billson makes a comeback . . . Josh Frydenberg appoints Liberal party staffer Peter Crone to ACCC . . . Christian Porter confesses to appointing Liberal mates to AAT . . . the Coalition 'stacking' tribunals with ideological friends . . . Warren Mundine was not recommended for the SBS board, but the Coalition chose him anyway . . . ABC board: secret shortlist of candidates ignored in favour of mining executive.
- LIES: The only thing ramping up is the shamelessness of the PM’s falsehoods. . . Straight-faced and bald-faced: the political lies that hoodwink the public. . . We may never know when Morrison knew, but there’s no doubt he has lied. . . The great deceiver - the prime minister preaches faith but lies, deflects, dissembles and seeks to detach us from reality. . . The Prime Minister Just Lied Twice When Talking About The Vaccine Rollout & Lockdowns. . . All politicians lie, but Scott Morrison's untruths transcend the usual. . . Morrison's lies cover a lack of substance — and a lack of interest in leading.
- UNANSWERED QUESTIONS: Morrison deflected parliamentary questions to other ministers almost 200 times since becoming PM . . . Scott Morrison refuses to say if he wanted Hillsong's Brian Houston invited to White House. . . Scott Morrison refuses to take questions about timing of changes to sports grants. . . Scott Morrison refuses to release notes of call with NSW police chief over doctored document.
- EMPATHY AND IRONY: Morrison government paid empathy consultant $190,000 . . . ’Unfunded empathy': Scott Morrison pushes back on growing calls to lift Newstart rate. . . Andrew Laming ordered into empathy training by Scott Morrison after downplaying apology.
- NEVER BACK DOWN: Morrison 'regrets' hurt to ousted Aus Post boss – but won't apologise. . . Morrison repeatedly refuses to apologise for rollout delays. . . Scott Morrison: 'I won't apologise to Save the Children' . . . Government blames the jobless for unemployment. . . Morrison claims he never mocked electric vehicle technology. . . Scott Morrison denies his ‘one country two systems’ reference to Taiwan and China was an error. . . PM not backing down on criticism of Islamic extremism.
- INCOMPETENCE: We're losing the vaccination race because of bungling, not bad luck. . . We have seen Morrison’s best, and it wasn’t much. . . Why is the Morrison government so bad at getting things done?. . . MyGov website did not crash because of DDoS cyber attack, as Stuart Robert claimed. . . Greg Hunt has failed to vaccinate the nation and must go. . . Backflip to the home: NBN to upgrade FttN areas with fibre. . . Scott Morrison just isn't good at his job. . . Australia - a lucky country run by second rate people.
- AGED CARE: Major Australian aged care provider reveals just 15% of staff vaccinated as sector demands changes to rollout. . . Aged care royal commission hears there are around 50 sexual assaults a week of residents nationally. . . Coalition ignored warnings system needed Covid tracking system. . . Why is nursing home food so bad? Some spend just $6.08 per person a day. . . Millions for aged care investors, but homes lack nurses: where does $13bn in federal funding go?
- PEOPLE WITH DISABILITY: Vaccinating the highest-risk groups first was the plan - people with disability are being left behind. . . ‘Abject failure’: only 999 out of 26,000 Australian disability care residents vaccinated. . . Centrelink pursued disability pensioner for welfare debt caused by ‘administration error’. . . Girl who uses wheelchair deemed to have no mobility concerns by NDIS independent assessment. . . Disabled young people living on poverty-level benefits rises 300%. . . Over 1,000 Australians with cognitive disability are detained indefinitely each year.
- NDIS: Documents leaked from secretive NDIS taskforce. . . Robo-debt public servants now shaping the NDIS. . . Support classified as ‘ordinary living expenses’ banned in NDIS overhaul. . . Seven-year plot to undermine the NDIS . . . I love the NDIS but fear it is now an ideological plaything for politicians. . . Government called in private law firms to fight a third of NDIS cases. . . ‘Robo-planning’ will ‘blow-up’ NDIS: key architect.
- COVID-19: SUPPRESSION -v- ELIMINATION: All countries should pursue a Covid-19 elimination strategy: here are 16 reasons why. . . Coronavirus elimination or suppression? That's the multi-billion-dollar economic question. . . Experts call for Australia to replace coronavirus suppression strategy with elimination plan. . . Scott Morrison indicates ‘eliminating’ COVID-19 would come at too high a cost. . . Sticking to a Covid elimination strategy keeps New Zealand’s options open.
- IGNORING EXPERTS: Morrison ignored chief health officers’ advice. . . Top economists back boosts to JobSeeker and social housing over tax cuts in pre-budget poll. . . Morrison government 'ignored' Climate Change Authority's advice on Covid recovery. . . New gas-fired power not needed as renewable energy expands says AEMO. . . Treasury cautioned Scott Morrison over cutting jobkeeper payment. . . Reserve Bank says wage rises are crucial - Scott Morrison says otherwise.
- VACCINE ROLLOUT: We're losing the vaccination race because of bungling, not bad luck. . . Covid vaccination rates for workers in Australian home aged care as low as 5%, but ‘not a focus’ for government. . . Vaccine advisory group urged Australian health department in 2020 ‘to get as much as you can’. . . Is the COVID vaccine rollout the greatest public policy failure in recent Australian history?. . . Aged care provider offered to vaccinate staff and residents - federal government said 'no’. . . Six key things we don't know about Australia’s Covid vaccine rollout despite promises of ‘transparency’
- LOCKDOWN: Morrison’s figures do not predict an end to lockdowns. . . Canberra Lockdown Won’t Impact Government’s Ability To Avoid Doing Job, PM Assures. . . Melbourne tower lockdowns unfairly target already vulnerable public housing residents. . . New Zealand's level four coronavirus lockdown has been strict. Here are some of the differences with Australia. . . Lockdowns vs vaccines? Morrison would like to dodge responsibility for NSW’s outbreak. . . Lockdown means JobKeeper right? Not when you're Scott Morrison.
- FACT CHECK: Scott Morrison says an electric vehicle can't tow a boat or trailer. Is he correct?. . . Is Queensland clearing land as fast as Brazil?. . . Does Australia spend more on offshore processing than the UN spends on refugee programs in South East Asia?. . . Jim Chalmers says two-thirds of the debt in the budget was borrowed before the start of the pandemic. Is he correct?. . . Does Australia have the least efficient cars in the developed world?. . . Are there really 54,000 people employed in thermal coal mining?
- CONTROLLING THE NARRATIVE: Government review follows Tame appointment. . . How will Scott Morrison spin his way out of this one?. . . Can Scott Morrison's rhetorical style cut through the rising tide of anger?. . . Morrison government spent $128m on advertising in 2019-20, figures reveal. . . Scott Morrison's political ad is a bizarre act of self-love as firefighters battle to save Australia. . . No Beef With Slavery: If Your History Hurts, Just Rebrand It. . . Scott Morrison will weaponise climate in pursuit of re-election.
- PROPAGANDA: The announcement artist: Scott Morrison is good at promising but not at delivering. . . The Australian govt is putting economic storytelling ahead of evidence. . . Violent propaganda an 'enormous challenge' for security agencies amid rising rightwing threat. . . The Morrison Govt has the commentary. But what about the answers?. . . Morrison government paid empathy consultant $190,000. . . Real reform in aged care trumped by re-announcements and a deluge of cash.
- IDENTITY POLITICS: Scott Morrison rejects idea he believes God chose him to be PM after warning against ‘identity politics’. . . Scott Morrison hits out at identity politics despite deploying them himself. . . Australian government axes federal arts department, leaving institutions ‘gobsmacked’. . . Government greenlights churches’ freedom to discriminate. . . Australia could add 'values test' for migrants. . . Asio to review terror terms including ‘rightwing extremists’ which Liberal MP says causes anxiety. . . Scott Morrison’s ‘work harder to earn more’ nonsense shows how out of touch with workers he is.
- HYPOCRISY: The coward’s pulpit. . . Morrison says banking royal commission a 'populist whinge’. . . To talk up Australia's coronavirus economic recovery, Morrison found the perfect weapon. . . Micro-aggression and deflection, when we want an apology and a solution. . . Morrison lectured states against border closures – now he’s done exactly that. . . Morrison claims he never mocked electric vehicle technology. . . Morrison blames Atagi doctors for Australia’s slow Covid vaccine rollout. . . Morrison: Black Lives Matter protesters should be charged if they defy advice and march. . . Scott Morrison and the truth.
- MORAL STATURE: Scott Morrison-No compassion, and no marketing skill either? . . We have seen Morrison’s best, and it wasn’t much. . . The moral deadening . . . Scott Morrison, aerodynamic populism and the art of never choosing a side . . . Grace Tame says Scott Morrison told her ‘I bet it felt good to get that out’ after powerful speech . . . Small talk: small threats, from a small man, announcing a small number of evacuations . . . No, prime minister, sexual assault allegations are not only a matter for the police.
- BULLYING: The “menacing” and “controlling” Scott Morrison. . . ‘I won’t be bullied’: expert who helped spark war crimes inquiry speaks out after Dutton criticism. . . Christine Holgate presents a compelling story of Morrison's bullying. . . A reported rape of a staffer was not enough for Morrison to 'get it’. . . Scott Morrison embroiled in row with News Corp after being accused of 'weaponising' complaint claim minutes after fighting back tears.
- CORRUPTION: Liberal party donor’s revenue from uncontested contracts for offshore processing rises to $1.5bn. . . Coalition's plan for anti-corruption body a 'sham' set up to protect MPs, says former judge. . . Culture of corruption engulfing the Morrison government. . . Barnaby Joyce signed off $80m for Angus Taylor’s old company after zero was paid for same sort of water nearby. . . Covid-19 commission grants communications contract to firm headed by ex-Liberal staffers.
- CONFLICT OF INTEREST: Investigation that cleared MP Michael Sukkar of wrongdoing was carried out by his old law firm. . . Sleaze and self interest is everywhere. . . Mining giants make fresh bid to explore for gas with licence that covers land owned by Barnaby Joyce. . . ‘Culture of Cosiness’: colossal conflicts of interest in Defence spending blitz. . . ‘Clear conflict of interest’: Superannuation boss demands scrutiny of Tim Wilson’s use of economics committee. . . Angus Taylor met with environment department even as it investigated company he part-owns.
- DOG WHISTLING: Border farce: Weaponising a Brisbane funeral was a bad idea. . . Criminalising citizens returning from India signals some are more Australian than others. . . Prime Minister says 'extremist Islam' is biggest threat. . . 'Shorten wants to end the weekend': Morrison attacks Labor's electric vehicle policy. . . Peter Dutton says women using rape and abortion claims as ploy to get to Australia. . . Peter Dutton says Victorians scared to go out because of 'African gang violence'. . . For Scott Morrison, one protester's free expression is another's dangerous activity.
- TOTALITARIANISM: Fascism is alive in Australia. . . The growth of digital surveillance. . . The government is clamping down on charities — and it could have a chilling effect on peaceful protest. . . A warning against another Morrison government. . . Ministers increasingly bypassing parliament to create laws. . . Research reveals shocking detail on how Australia’s environmental scientists are being silenced. . . Morrison pledges to outlaw climate boycotts, arguing they threaten the economy.
- BEING SILENCED: Government accused of pressuring experts who questioned its gas-fired recovery plan. . . Why Bernard Collaery’s case is one of the gravest threats to freedom of expression. . . Coalition legal action sends chills through whistleblowers. . . Government shuts down calls to enshrine Indigenous 'voice' in constitution. . . Research reveals shocking detail on how Australia’s environmental scientists are being silenced.
- FOSSIL FUELS: Federal govt loan for new QLD coal mine criticised by campaigners. . . $3.3m grant to Shine Energy approved despite not being appropriate - auditor general. . . Coal seam gas company pushes to drill hundreds of new wells at off-limits QLD site. . . NSW ‘pandering’ to Morrison govt by declaring Hunter Valley gas-fired power station essential. . . Fossil Fuel Fiesta: Australia's coal and gas giants get more in subsidies than they pay in royalties .
- RENEWABLES: Coalition vetoes funding for wind and battery farm in northern Queensland. . . AEMO says electricity grid can run on 75% renewables . . . New CSIRO, AEMO study confirms wind, solar and storage beat coal, gas and nuclear. . . Wind turbines off the coast could help Australia become an energy superpower, research finds. . . Reserve Bank fuels call for post-pandemic renewables push. . . Renewable energy could render five of Australia’s remaining coal plants unviable by 2025.
- ENVIRONMENTAL COLLAPSE: More livestock, more carbon dioxide, less ice: the world's climate change progress since 2019 is (mostly) bad news. . . The tipping points at the heart of the climate crisis. . . Intensive farming is eating up the Australian continent – but there’s another way. . . One-fifth of ecosystems in danger of collapse – here’s what that might look like. . . We are the 1%: the wealth of many Australians puts them in an elite club wrecking the planet.
- ENVIRONMENTAL VANDALISM: Ocean Waste: how plastic recyclers downplay use of new plastics. . . Morrison govt flouts own review by proposing 'watered down' environmental standards. . . Major report excoriated Australia's environment laws. . . How the budget undervalued conservation: 16 World Heritage sites received less than Sydney Harbour. . . Scientists fear Coalition's push to deregulate environmental approvals will lead to extinction crisis. . . Million hectares of threatened species' habitat cleared without assessments.
- EMISSIONS: Emissions will hit record high by 2023 if green recovery fails, says IEA. . . Pathway to critical goal of net-zero emissions by 2050 is narrow but brings huge benefits - IEA report. . . OECD says Aust. needs to intensify efforts to meet 2030 emissions goal. . . Net-zero emissions won’t be sustainable if social inequalities aren’t addressed. . . Australians could have saved over $1 Billion in fuel had car emissions standards been introduced 3 years ago. . . Carbon pricing: a proven way to reduce emissions but everyone’s too scared to mention it.
- ENERGY POLICY: government appoints former gas executive to clean energy regulator. . . gas and coal recipients of $50m grants from Carbon Capture and Storage fund. . . AEMO says new gas-fired power not needed . . . Norway’s giant oil fund ditches stake in Australia's AGL over fossil fuel concerns. . . “Technology not taxes” is a slogan not a policy. . . up to 11,000 renewable energy jobs could be lost under Morrison government policies.
- CLIMATE SCIENCE: Coalition's push to deregulate environmental approvals will lead to extinction crisis . . . environmental laws will fuel further public health crises . . . Rising levels of carbon dioxide increasing extreme weather events in Australia. . . Scientists’ warning on affluence. . . Rising levels of carbon dioxide increasing extreme weather events in Australia, report finds. . . Australia’s energy exports increase global greenhouse emissions, not decrease them.
- MENTAL HEALTH: Budget’s mental health pledges rely on deals with states and workers that don’t exist. . . Government’s response to mental health crisis like a ‘Yes, Minister’ episode . . . Young people are struggling the most with their mental health. Here's what they've learned from asking for help. . . Suicide research is clear: urgent action required to address Covid-19 fallout. . . Question for the treasurer: how do you treat mental health without measuring well-being?
- FUNDING CUTS: Coalition MPs urge Scott Morrison to restore funding to auditor general. . . Thousands to lose free dental care under ‘harsh and heartless’ cuts . . . CapTel text-captioned telephones will not work as of February in blow for Australia's deaf community. . . ABC loses $783m funding since 2014 when Coalition made its first cuts. . . Australia is spending less on diplomacy than ever before – and its influence is suffering as a result.
- REFUGEES: How businesses could hire more refugees and gain a strategic advantage . . . Fact check: Does Australia spend more on offshore processing than the UN spends on refugee programs in South East Asia?. . . 'Every day I am crushed': the stateless man held without trial by Australia for eight years. . . Government legalises ‘a crime against humanity’. . . If you think Australia making an example of a sick three-year-old is an exception, think again, it’s what we do.
- FOREIGN POLICY: Australia must change its mindset, especially on international affairs. . . DFAT slashes dozens of jobs. . . Australia’s special forces beyond repair . . . The harmful myths we live by about the US. . . Australia is spending less on diplomacy than ever before – and its influence is suffering as a result. . . A sinking DFAT has given policy making over to ASPI. . . Australia would be wise not to pound ‘war drums’ over Taiwan with so much at stake.
- AFGHANISTAN: Peter Dutton suggests some former Afghan guards and interpreters could pose security risk to Australia. . . Morrison says troops died ‘for a great cause’ in Afghanistan. To quote a grieving father, that’s bullshit. . . Cruel to the end. . . In Kabul's 'Saigon moment', Australia faces the shame of repeating its mistakes exiting the Vietnam war. . . Afghan employees sent pleading letter to Australian government. . . Afghans who worked with Australian forces wait for death at the hands of the Taliban. . . Former Afghan interpreter has visa protection denied, says Australians signed his 'death warrant'.
- CHINA: China grievances conflated into demands. . . Fifty years after Whitlam's breakthrough China trip, the Morrison government could learn much from it. . . Morrison could muzzle his China hawks – but he wants to be all things to all people . . . ‘The West humiliated them’: what white people don’t understand about China. . . Who is in charge of Australia’s relations with China? The Australian Prime Minister or ASIO?. . . Australia can repair its relationship with China, here are 3 ways to start. . . How Australia sabotaged its own interests in relations with China.
- DISENFRANCHISEMENT OF WOMEN: How Scott Morrison gaslights female critics to distract from criticism. . . Gender bias in medicine and medical research is still putting women's health at risk. . . Gender equality in Australia deteriorates again, yet the rage for change remains undaunted. . . PM claimed safety concerns for not meeting with women at Parliament House. . . Disrespect of female MPs has a long history, it won't end until we understand it. . . His and hers - The accuser and the accused face vastly different treatment. . . 400,000 women over 45 are at risk of homelessness in Australia.
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE: Counter-terrorism gets a bigger political focus than domestic violence – with far fewer victims. . . How to lose her voice: On testimonial injustice and the ways women are silenced. . . His and hers - The accuser and the accused face vastly different treatment. . . Australia is not ready to criminalise coercive control — here’s why. . . PM’s inaction on men’s violence inflicts even more damage.
- INEQUALITY: 3 billion people cannot afford a healthy diet . . . ‘I was desperate’: the fight to get Australia’s fruit pickers a fair wage. . . Home owners rewarded in budget as homelessness continues to surge. . . Will we ever see a socially responsible budget?. . . Winding back JobKeeper and JobSeeker will push 740,000 Australians into poverty. . . There are many good ideas to tackle inequality – it’s time we acted on them.
- FIRST NATIONS: Despite 432 Indigenous deaths in custody since 1991, no one has ever been convicted - racist silence and complicity are to blame. . . The Uluru statement is not a vague idea of ‘being heard’. . . (PM vetoes) voice to parliament. . . PM claims post-colonisation slavery did not exist . . . Supporting Indigenous home ownership drives a strong economic future for Australia. . . Why we need Aboriginal voices to tell the history of our convict past. . . Excessive strip-searching shines light on discrimination of Aboriginal women in the criminal justice system. . . More than 50% of those on secretive NSW police blacklist are Aboriginal.
- HOMELESSNESS: If Australia really wants to tackle mental health after coronavirus, we must take action on homelessness . . . Homelessness growing in NSW - 60,000 people waiting for social housing, for up to 10 years. . . What it's like to be homeless and have a mental illness. . . Older women couch surfing, sleeping in cars due to unaffordable housing. . . Eliminating most homelessness is achievable. It starts with prevention and ‘housing first’. . . The coronavirus pandemic provides an opportunity to address homelessness.
- YOUNG PEOPLE: ‘One more mine does make a difference’: Australian children argue for the climate – and the law agrees. . . Young people are struggling the most with their mental health. Here's what they've learned from asking for help. . . To understand young people's mental health problems, we need to look at the economic and social triggers. . . These drought-hit young people feel forgotten, but they're speaking up with their ideas on dealing with the dry.
- ECONOMY: Why most economists continue to back lockdowns. . . Australia voluntarily keeps hundreds of thousands unemployed. . . The myth that the Liberals are better economic managers?. . . Scott Morrison thinks cutting taxes is ‘Economics 101’- he’s wrong. . . Data shows containing COVID v saving the economy is a false dichotomy. . . Two-thirds of the debt in the budget was borrowed before the start of the pandemic. . . MMT: new money creation is real, it is not a “leftist” conspiracy.
- NEO-LIBERALISM: Archaic ideas of market liberalism continue to wreak havoc. . . Disadvantage accelerates as private school funding rises six times public schools over the decade. . . Covid-19 has exposed the catastrophic impact of privatising vital services. . . The spread of coronavirus in Australia is not the fault of individuals but a result of neoliberalism. . . Morrison says: "the government can’t allow the lifeline [to] hold Australia back as we move into the next phases of recovery". . . This pandemic has exposed the uselessness of orthodox economics catastrophic cost. . . Thatcherism and Reaganomics your best answers, Josh?
- BUDGET 2021: Australian women are done waiting. It’s time for a budget that invests in care. . . Home owners rewarded in budget as homelessness continues to surge. . . Money for telescopes and vaccines is great, but the budget's lack of basic science funding risks leaving Australia behind. . . Australia’s housing crisis: it’s one of the most unaffordable in the world, so how is the Coalition going to fix it?. . . Coalition spent 30 times more on tax cuts than women’s economic security in 2021 budget. . . Ignoring the gap - the budget shows that the government is not interested in lifting women out of poverty.
- RACISM: Family says pleas for help ignored as Australian man dies of Covid-19 in India. . . ‘Garbage’ and ‘cash cows’: temporary migrants describe anguish of exclusion and racism during COVID-19. . . For 8 years I’ve served Australia. The hate and disgusting abuse still crushes me. . . Australia once rejected ‘feeble-minded’ immigrants - discrimination remains. . . It’s now criminal to be the wrong sort of (brown) Australian. . . Australia’s absurd moral panic around critical race theory aims to silence demands for justice. . . The Senate voted to reject critical race theory from the national curriculum. What is it and why does it matter?. . . .
- ROYAL COMMISSIONS: Disability royal commission hears evidence from Indigenous woman locked away for 20 years. . . Australians want more funding for higher-quality aged care and most are willing to pay extra tax to achieve it. . . The Deaths in custody royal commission has unfinished business. . . ‘Urgent’ extension to disability inquiry 'ignored' by Morrison and Porter for four months. . . It's one thing to back down on Hayne's recommendation about mortgage brokers, it's another to offer nothing in its place.